Holiday Gift Guide
Hello. Environmental activist Nancy here again with some climate saving holiday gift ideas. Sustainability and no waste policy guides my life. I generally make donations instead of giving physical items for the holidays, but if you want to open presents, here are some handy and helpful gifts to encourage a planet healthy lifestyle!
1. Safety razors: How many plastic razors do you throw away a year? A lot. I just bought this bamboo handled safety razor and I will never go back. Blades are recyclable, the razor feels really luxurious and no plastic. Plus, it will last for life! This is a great gift but I also recommend buying one for yourself.
2. Refillable dental floss: Flossing is great for your teeth and gums and terrible for landfill. Once again there is an elegant and sustainable solution. Refillable metal or glass holders with vegan floss. Then you just refill with floss. No more plastic!
3. Plant-based cook books: A plant based diet is far and away the most concrete action we can take to help stall global warming. There are so many wonderful plant based diets and cuisines to choose from. I prefer a whole foods approach rather than the trendy meat substitutes, but you do you! Here are a few lists:
4. Living gifts are always awesome as well. My colleague Chandra Breslow makes gorgeous creations using found items and succulents! I bought one for my mom for her birthday and it was a hit.
5. Experiences are always amazing gifts. Visit an animal rescue or shelter, go for a hike, perform for a retirement community. We don't always need stuff. Sometimes we just need community and connection.
We all can get a little insane over the holidays. See how you can do both: give what your heart desires and be kind to the planet.
1/22/2020 05:24:19 pm
Hi Nancy. These are great suggestions! I too am a big proponent of less waste and climate friendly practices. I am still using my same electric razor since middle school which is great since it has never needed any change of parts. But I'm glad to know of the refillable floss!
1/22/2020 08:51:49 pm
Thanks for the comment! There are so many additional options for everyday items that I didn't list. I feel as if I could write a blog post on this topic daily! (washing machine soap, bamboo toothbrushes, reusable storage!!!!)
Leave a Reply.
Nancy Dobbs Owen
Want to know what is happening right now? You've come to the right place! Enjoy!